Sunday, July 11, 2010

DIY: Chain headpiece





So sorry for not posting sooner, but today I've got a treat for you! I'll be showing you how to make a basic chain headpiece. I actually got inspired by a diamond headpiece Lady Gaga uses in her video for the song Bad Romance.

 I liked the idea and thought of making something similar, but with chains.

I did some research around the web and found these two inspiring images:

This is a silver chain headpiece made by La Dama.

A fan outside of Lady Gaga's show in Tokyo.

This basic headpiece I'm teaching in the tutorial is based on the La Dama one, but later on I will add more chains and embellish it to make it something more Gaga-esque. I'll make another tutorial for that separately. 

So here goes...


What you'll need:

Some jewelry links, 1m of the chain of your choice, jewelry pliers, a meter tape, optional parts for embellishing. And it is not pictured here but you may also need a piece of string or some tape.

Step 1: Measure your head


Step 2: Take your measurement and measure it out on your chain


Step 3: Take your pliers and open the link corresponding to your measurement. Separate that segment from the rest of the chain.


Step 4: Join the two ends, then close the opened link

We'll call this the "main circle"

Step 5: Measure the top of your head from the front to the back

Make sure to measure this starting and ending at the height you want the final product to be. If you want it to hang lower, then measure lower down on your forehead and on the back of the head. If you want it higher, measure it higher up.






Step 6: Take your measurement and measure it out on your chain. Open the link corresponding to your measurement. Separate that segment from the rest of the chain.

This will be called the "top chain"

Step 7: Pull the chain of the "main circle" so it will be as pictured below (folded in half). Connect one end of the "top chain" to the link at the extreme tip of the "main circle".


Step 8: Connect the other end of the "top chain" to the other tip of the "main circle". You have to divide the "main circle" in two halves with the top chain.


Step 9 (optional): Tie a piece of string or stick a piece of tape on the "top chain". This will be useful for if you have to make any final adjustments after trying it on and not liking how it fits. 

I had to make a few adjustments on the size of my top chain and you can get very confused between the 3 chains if you don't have a marker on the top one.

Step 10: Rock your new creation!


As you can see, this one is very similar to the La Dama headpiece, except I made mine lower down on the forehead since I'm going to change it a lot still. I just wanted to show you how to make the basic "structure".

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed making it and I'd love to see what you come up with!

Also, this is my first ever tutorial, so I'd love any feedback saying what you thought about it: Confusing? Useful? Fun? Too Long?

Thanks and until next time!


Photo creds: La Dama, GagaDaily.com/fashion

3 comments:

  1. Perfect! Great pictures - and easy!!!
    Thanks for your time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I guess you can make the head dress not droop on the sides? This was pretty easy!! I'm doing this for Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete